Friday, June 13, 2008

Embracing the Teal

It was about a year ago that I came to flyball and the River Runners. Actually, it was a year ago last month that my pal and I started to compete, and I was given my first team shirt. Actually, let me clarify. I was given 3. And 2 sweatshirts. As people pitched clothes at me I found myself caught in a storm of teal. As I listened carefully to instructions, fighting back the nerves as I tried to remember everything I would need to know for our upcoming tournament (my first), I thought... there is no way this will look good on me. They're so... brightly coloured. The fact that I'm still 'green' at flyball will stand out enough, thank you, without me being actually, physically... green. But I put on the clothes and I weathered my first flyball competition, and then the next one, and the next one, and the next one, and I realized... I look DAMN good in green.

So what is flyball? Flyball is a relay race for dogs. The dogs run on teams, and one at a time they go down over a series of four jumps, trigger a special box that releases a tennis ball (GASP!), and they return over the jumps. River Runners flyball is based out of Saskatoon, where we offer classes to all those interested in joining the dog sport community. Big dogs, little dogs... we welcome all.

However, the River Runners are more than 'flyball'. The River Runners promote responsible dog ownership, cooperation, and good sportsmanship through classes, demonstrations, and competitions. To be part of flyball is to come together with like-minded people in celebration of our four-legged friends and family. You may think you're doing this for your dog... which you are. But what you'll find is a community of people who are willing to support you, and your dog, in all of your endeavors. Whether that support is within the River Runners club itself, or from the larger flyball community... dog sport is where it's at!

Remember the last time you went out? I know, its been a while hey? Take a moment and think ... I've got time... there you go! Perhaps you were in the bar, or went for supper with friends... a rare occasion in such a busy life. The conversation flows easily, weaving around between your friend's work, family, and vacation plans. You add the prerequisite comments... "uh huh", "sounds fun", "that's great", not really contributing much to the conversation until finally BAM! They ask what's new with you. So there you are, somewhere between appetizer and entree, discussing how your dog ate a highlighter on the weekend and for the next two days her (ahem) 'leavings' glowed in the dark. A truly HILARIOUS story, not? This is your 15th telling and you still snort pop up your nose upon sharing! You're considering calling Ellen to see if she needs material for her morning mono... why are your friends looking at you like that!?

What I'm trying to say is... we'll look at you weird too. But then we'll laugh (in all the appropriate places of course), and go on to share our stories, or discuss how the new food we're trying the kids on has really evened things out. We like dogs. We like dogs stories. In fact, we like dog stories so much that we've created this blog so that we can share our stories, experiences, trials and tribulations as a community that has come together for the Dog. Embrace it. Everyone looks good in teal.

3 comments:

ball=cheese said...

Good start.

Teal is the Colour!
Flyball is the Game!
We're all together.
And winning (or at least running clean) is our aim.
...

Anonymous said...

It is actually suprising that teal does look good... it's just one of those colors that you look at and go, "Ew, Teal" Until you actually threw it on there... way to prove initial thoughts wrong.

Anon said...

LOL. You need a little insider knowledge for that last comment, which is actually quite a nice compliment. Pawesome!