Thursday, June 26, 2008

Becoming the Leader.

When I was a child, the dogs in the yard were working dogs. No collars, laid around, wandered, hunted, and followed you everywhere when you appeared outside.

When I got older I did not have any contact with the dog world and I wanted a dog. When I finally got my dog, I knew nothing of training. What training? Dogs don’t need to be trained! I ventured into the world of obedience and found that, like children, dogs needed pack leadership, structure, care and love.

Different trainers had different ideas on how this should be done. “I rule and you are subservient” “Oh what a pretty dog you are!” “No treats as this spoils the dog” Tugging creates Aggression “ “ Work with me and we will have a great time!” This last one I like best.

As I progressed through the various trainers I found that, like teaching children, different methods are needed for different personalities and lifestyles and so have taken certain aspects from each, but the underlying core is that dogs, still need a pack leader, structure, love and care.


The little Wolf Pack
“Alpha, Beta, and everyone else”

The ruler in my house pack weighs 10 lbs. She walks into the group or room and everyone takes note. She has the sunniest spot on the rug, the softest cushion, and the choice of where she lays. She is not mean in her leadership and gives everyone a chance to redeem themselves for their indiscretions before she lets them know quickly when they have stepped over the line. The message is delivered without aggression, no blood is shed and it is over in a matter of seconds and then all is right and in order in the pack.

The Beta, second in command, or so he thinks, is the token male. He makes no decisions and has no say. He hunts, barks warnings, sleeps beside the alpha and generally enjoys life. Typical male.
The others in the pack, all girls, enjoy a peace sometimes easy and then not. Who is first out the door today, who marked over the last spot, who got the first reward seems to determine daily placement.

Then there is the last but not least who travels through the pack like a bubble through water. She enjoys all places as she never tries for any. She just assumes everyone lovers her. You know the type? The happy child!

There is harmony in the pack as there is a leader who gives structure, discipline when needed and then there is the ultimate leader, me, who gives love and care which is returned 5 fold.

Ferne and the Rugrat pack

No comments: