Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Three Dogs...Are You Kidding Me???

For the past four years, I've had two dogs. Two big dogs, about the same size. Similar temperament, very loving with one another and have had few issue throughout their lives as a pair. The past several months I thought, very much in passing, that it would be fun to have a third dog. A small dog. One who would nip at the ankles of my big dogs. But I wasn't actually serious.

Well, as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. On May 31st while at a wedding in the country, this adorable white ball of fluff was found trying to play with the pigs and donkeys on the property where the wedding took place. Much to the chagrin of some of my friends at the wedding who do not share the same compassion for lost animals as me, I took this puppy home with the intent to find her rightful owners. A few days later, I was able to make contact with her family via a local vet clinic, but alas, they never stepped forward to get her back.

So now I have three dogs. In theory. There are three dogs at my house, but I have yet to come to terms with it. Three dogs who need fed, loved, walked and three dogs whose excrement I am now responsible for.

As the three adjust to their new lifestyle, I am constantly laughing at their antics. In Millie, Daisy finally has a playmate who likes toys and doesn't tire of wrestling...as well, a playmate who inspires Monty to want to play also (a miracle in and of itself). Daisy will approach Millie with a toy in her mouth, inviting her to play. When Millie accepts the invitation, Daisy promptly reminds Millie several times that she must submit, as Millie always does willingly. Then the three of them will engage in a very fierce-sounding rampage of ear-pulling, neck grabbing, tail-wagging excitement.

Last night, Millie got the zoomies. It's the first time I've seen this, and it's likely because it rained all day and evening, and she spent most of the time in her crate, and little time playing or walking. It was hilarious! I have one couch that she can squeeze underneath, and she would often shoot under there after doing a few laps around the living room, over a dog, under a dog, and so on. Then she stuck her head out from under the couch, waiting to pounce while Monty & Daisy looked on very curiously. Unfortunately, it was about 11:30pm and not at all an appropriate time for zoomies (which I tried to explain to Millie). Needless to say, she protested when alerted to the end of her play time and there was a little bit of jostling in the crate when she tried to resume zoomies once in her bed for the night. What a turkey!

I swore that I'd never get another puppy. So much work, training, headache...but what a rewarding experience it is. I've been lucky with my dogs. None of them were nightmares as puppies. All fairly laid back and easy to train. So I have three dogs. There. I said it. I have three dogs. Two big ones about the same size, and a little white fluffy one who nips at Monty & Daisy's ankles.

Lisa

1 comment:

ball=cheese said...

Congratulations! You know the first step is admitting you have another dog.

And it's definitely early enough to start working on flyball basics. Focus, recall, even jumps and dead ball retrieves. :)

Get to work, Millie! We're waiting to play with you!